Error! Could not install plugin, unknown error, please consult octoprint.log for details

Hi, I get this error message every time I try to install a plugin. I know this issue has been posted on the internet before, but being a total noob, the solutions go right over my head.

If someone is willing to give me a step-by-step solution that would be wonderful. I am running octopi on a raspberry pi 3 model b. My log is available at this link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JaURtdDjLiIeR3ZM0yKR7YPgN3gDutDM/view?usp=sharing

I'm guessing that AstroPrint is the plugin in question so this issue may be the one you're seeing.

It looks like the plugin author needs to update his/her requirements.txt:

sudo apt-get build-dep python-imaging
sudo apt-get install libjpeg8 libjpeg62-dev libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev

You are correct, I want to install astroprint. Is there a way I can make this work myself?

Presumably, you can remote into the Raspberry, run those two commands I've provided and then try to reinstall the plugin.

So you're suggesting I use a service like putty?

If you're using a Windows-based workstation, then putty is the client. Otherwise, it's a command like ssh pi@octopi.local to get a remote connection. The default password then is "raspberry".

If you're nervous about making changes to your OctoPi image, feel free to shutdown OctoPrint and the Raspberry Pi, remove the microSD card, bring it to your workstation and back it up using software like Etcher or similar.

Eject it nicely in your workstation, put it back into the Raspberry Pi, boot it up and then proceed with your edits.

Ok I tried your fix, and these are the errors I got. The plugin still won't install.

pi@octopi:~ sudo apt-get build-dep python-imaging Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done E: You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list pi@octopi:~ sudo apt-get install libjpeg8 libjpeg62-dev libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libjpeg62-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
libjpeg9-dev libjpeg8-dev libjpeg62-turbo-dev

E: Package 'libjpeg62-dev' has no installation candidate
pi@octopi:~ $

Alright then...

sudo apt-get install libjpeg9-dev libjpeg8-dev libjpeg62-turbo-dev

If that's happy, then proceed with the plugin installation.

I suppose it's good karma to [follow-up with the author](http://libjpeg9-dev libjpeg8-dev libjpeg62-turbo-dev) so that he/she knows that you tried the work-around and now you're having to work-around the work-around...