Trouble getting desktop enviroment to boot

What is the problem?
Octopi wont boot to the desktop

What did you already try to solve it?
Ran the install script multiple times, tried running the install script and then changing the boot option in raspi-config but got an error running b1 desktop/ cli

Additional information about your setup
Im running octopi 15.1, with a raspberry pi 3 b and a 7” touch screen

You need to describe what happens more. Include errors and logs. We can't read your mind.

Honestly, the only error I’ve gotten is the one listed in the topic, running the install script that the terminal tells me too but it doesnt seem to stick for some reason

"listed in the topic" == "got an error running b1 desktop/cli"?

I don't have any idea where to start here.

If you ran the sudo /home/pi/scripts/install-desktop script and it ran all the way through, then reboot the Raspi.

If it doesn't automatically boot to the Desktop (GUI, X windows, LXDE) screen, then sudo raspi-config -> Boot Options -> automatically boot to GUI as pi user.

1 Like

Hi OG,
I was able to install my desktop GUI with the script you mentioned but how do I have this automatically boot to the OctoPi program? Also, I can't find OctoPi anywhere in the desktop options or apps.

OctoPrint is not a program you start. It is a server that is started in the background on startup. What you want to do can be achieved by launching a browser on startup, and navigating to the served OctoPrint page in that browser (eg http://127.0.0.1:5000).

Ok thanks. I'm not near my octoprint server at the moment but I'm assuming there's a task manager of some sort I can check to see that it's running? I'll try the browser page when I get home.

So if the browser page is showing OctoPrint on the Raspberry Pi display, can I still access the page remotely and upload sketches via octoprint.local or the octoprint connection within Cura?

There are many different tools and methods to do this. One method is typing this in a terminal (either on the Pi, or remotely over SSH using eg Putty):

ps -ef | grep -i octoprint | grep -i python

Yes. A webserver can serve pages to many browsers on many computers at once. So can OctoPrint.

Blockquote
If you ran the sudo /home/pi/scripts/install-desktop script and it ran all the way through, then reboot the Raspi.

If it doesn't automatically boot to the Desktop (GUI, X windows, LXDE) screen, then sudo raspi-config -> Boot Options -> automatically boot to GUI as pi user.

Newbie user here, I was stuck on an older version (PI 3B with touch screen + raspbian desktop + octoprint ) and could not update.
Flashed the latest octopi 17 to a brand new microsd card, set the wifi, set the display.
Started the PI. Got the command line. Can log on. Desktop is missing.
Figured with the above command I could get it back to normal.

Did the script to get the desktop environment loaded.
Rebooted.
Then going to boot options.
It refuses to accept the option to go to UI by default with auto login.
Saying I need to

sudo apt-get install lightdm

that command works, it does a few things, it requires Y + enter to go through
and then follow pages worth of errors.

Failed to fetch archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/..........
Failed to fetch raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ .....

How does one solve that?

"Failed to fetch..." might indicate that it's not connected to the Internet (possibly). I think I'd verify that it's got a good connection.

Honestly, the script suggested is supposed to install everything to make the X11 windows subsystem happy. It shouldn't be necessary to also install lightdm as well. In fact, you might review the contents of that script and it will likely include that as part of what it does.

Reviewing the contents of that script...

This appears to get the work done:

sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods
sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target # Same as booting to GUI in raspi-config

So then here is the distribution package for raspberrypi-ui-mods: Specifically under debian/control:

Depends: ${misc:Depends}, lxpanel, pcmanfm, openbox, xserver-xorg,
 x11-xserver-utils, policykit-1, lightdm, raspberrypi-sys-mods, 
 zenity, libglib2.0-bin, desktop-file-utils, lxsession

So as you can see, this Debian package contains lightdm and all the goodies to make this work.

1 Like