TouchUI on RPi3, any lag issues?

hopefully the question is descriptive enough for a first post. what my question boils down to...
does running the desktop version of raspbian lite or full on a RPi3b (!+) with the plugin have issues with lags, printing delays, or anything else that would mess up the printing process {add on to that question: a lag in info from the pi to the printer, does OPi fail, or just pause while waiting.}
im just asking before i make a big project of putting a real touch interface on my prusa mk3.
i have not printed a single thing via the SD card and use octoprint exclusively for my prints with not one single failure.
im kinda new to the printing world (2months so far), but went head first into it. i can now identify many of the types of printers, models, knockoffs, filament temps. even basic reading of raw marlin. so, im catching up.
TL;DR : does adding the desktop and touch UI cause any issues that stop prints.

If I understand correctly, you want to add TouchUI so that it appears on an LCD/TFT screen which is controlled by the Raspberry Pi.

If so, this implies that you have to add the "Desktop" (PIXEL) interface to the LITE version of Stretch. You can see that I reviewed this somewhere on the forum. It also involves running a browser on the desktop to see the TouchUI screen, of course. The performance appears to work out for a Raspberry Pi 3B on a Robo C2 printer.

yep, im going with the official 7" display, you are correct in assumptions. i am sure im going to set it up this way, just wanted to see if any users had cpu load issues or data lags before i venture down another rabbit hole. i have the gpio pins direct to the einsy board on my prusa (-5v pin) and haven't had an issue.

Mine is probably one of the most loaded Raspberry Pi 3B's doing OctoPrint because I'm running the Desktop version, a Conky screen (which runs about ten staggered NodeJS scripts to ask for logistics from the REST API), an additional NodeJS service with endpoint for pausing jobs, audio sound events and a webcam.

I can watch the four cores of the Raspberry Pi with the Conky interface and at most, two of the cores will peg out at 100% but the other two are usually under 50%. I don't notice any blobbing on my part surfaces.

1 Like

now thats an excellent example i was looking for. i know the pi is a beast, i have several of them running at home, 2 at work monitoring the network. ive never really pegged out with multi server functions. im grabbing the shovel and heading down the rabbit hole to wonderland anyway (because, why not?). im sure after my tests. i will come back with my version of a review. thanks for your input.

1 Like