Settings based on logged in user?

Hey All,

I'm working on a plugin that will allow my lab to log issues with printers online from within OctoPrint, and that would POST an issue to a Github so we could deal with any printer problems accordingly. To do this however the plugin would need to store data separately per userm to associate their account with their GitHub account (also only admins should be able to do this)

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? Should I just work on making a database to handle this information.

(Additionally, would it make sense to change the access control system to something like mySQL or something? Benefits being it would be incredibly extendable? I'm not to used to this stuff yet so let me know if I'm wrong)

Thanks,

I can't help with your main question, but I believe a more granular access control system is in the works for a future release.

any news about granular controls?
I would really like to restrict my users to download the file from octoprint

you'd have to ask @foosel. I believe it was planned for OctoPrint version 1.4, but I may be remembering that incorrectly.

The problem with something like this is that OctoPrint probably shouldn't be a replacement for something like Jira or similar. What if the problem is that the web interface doesn't come up on a particular printer? Then the problem is a Catch-22, you can't enter the issue because you can't get to some plugin or whatever.

Instead, I think I would determine the link to that github Issues page and create a QR code on a sticker for each of the printers. Problem? Scan this code on your phone and enter information in on a github template you've created. The ID of the printer would be in the Subject of the issue.