Setting up OctoPrint on a Raspberry Pi running Raspberry Pi OS (Debian)

No but I have had to setup 3 Octoprint installations on one network (only one was my personal one). Every time I setup Octoprint the worst of it is still messing with networking stuff. Octoprint-wpa-supplicant is a huge improvement over what came before it but getting wifi working right is still the most frustrating part of the setup.

I'm a long-time I.T. guy so I'm used to that part of the setup, to be honest.

Honestly, I bet I've gone through the OctoPi startup routine 30 to 40 times at least.

So I might just be missing something, but I got as far as starting the OctoPrint server- and the command prompt just looks like it can't finish what it's doing.
Recently wiped this old All-in-one and am in Raspbian right now, I just can't seem to get the server going

Sounds like you're going the manual route. Why not just use the OctoPi image? It's pretty easy.

Honestly, I hadn't thought to look at if Octopi was easily do-able on PC install... But I could use the learning experience.
Anything is going to be easier than the 17hrs it took to wipe the drive in the first place....

Currently, the only thing I can find that looks possibly wrong is that it shutdown the intermediary server.
I get a server heartbeat, it says this is the first startup event, and it registered the instance

Duh.... its octoprint serve....not octoprint. I guess I just needed more coffee

1 Like

Got diverted over here from Adafruit’s tutorial on getting Octoprint running with their 3.5” touchscreen. Followed the outlined steps in the original post, but after firing the command

/OctoPrint/venv/bin/octoprint serve

it runs through it’s thing, and then hangs. While the octopi image deffo works, since it installs the lite version of Jessie, doesn’t help with the touchscreen.

@ubermick

The route I took for two different Adafruit 2.8" screens was:

For the one with the Desktop version:

1. Image with OctoPi and get that going
  2. Run the ~/scripts/install-desktop script
  3. Follow the Adafruit instructions for getting the screen running, choosing the option to mirror the Desktop rather than the console

For the one without the Desktop:

1. Image with OctoPi as before
  2. Run the instructions from Adafruit, choosing the option to mirror the console

What's interesting is that if I do a ps -ax|grep octoprint I get:

3033 ?        Sl     2:56 /home/pi/oprint/bin/python2 /home/pi/oprint/bin/octoprint serve --host=127.0.0.1 --port=5000

So my path collection is completely different than yours. I always use the OctoPi image route for installing.

1 Like

Derp. I'm a complete idiot and noticed plain as day the option to update to the GUI right there as soon as Octopi finished booting. This is what I get for trying this at midnight.

Thanks for the tips - I've got Octopi up and running, and the TFT module humming along using Adafruit's setup here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pitft-3-dot-5-touch-screen-for-raspberry-pi/easy-install-2

Guess all that remains is to install the browser on the pi, and that should be it!

Pretty sure there's already a default browser in the Pixel desktop. I usually set the option to auto-hide the Taskbar at the top of the Desktop. I also "full screen" the browser and then it looks pretty good.

Combine this with the TouchUI plugin and you should be all set.

I corrected...thanks...created the scripts dir and added those files...thanks!

I also had to add my pi user to video in order to use V4L since I installed octoprint on Xubuntu 18.04

usermod -aG video pi
1 Like

Hello good Morning

I'm new to raspberry pi. come on.
I have a raspberry pi 3 and a lcd touch screen 5 '' and would like to know how to install the octoprint on it, to stay the same as this post.

I will be grateful to all who help me

Hello, i'm getting into some trouble with the install of octoprint. At first, everything was ok, i was able to get the web interface, setup everything until CURAEngine but at some point, i had to move my pi to another room and since then, i can't run octoprint anymore. I tried uninstalling but since, i can't even pass the "virtualenv venv" command, i get an importerror with the module 'importlib' normally i get my way around linux but here i'm clueless. If anyone have any idea ?

Thanks

From this it sounds like you have 1) a Raspberry Pi and 2) you didn't use the OctoPi image. Start over from scratch, use these instructions and drive on. You're making this harder than it needs to be.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for your reply but i can't use the image, i have other stuffs running on my pi.

I've tried to the best of my abilities but I can not get my Logitech C270 working using these instructions.

Once I start mjpeg_streamer and go to its webpage, I get a page that never finish loading, nothing is displayed. The camera activates (light turns on) but nothing else.

Hi!

I'm having problem at here. I can't access the OctoPrint's UI from my Raspi's IP. I accessed the OctoPrint's UI by the default configuration, which is "localhost/5000" in the browser. I checked line per line in the file haproxy.cfg and all are ok. I have access to start the haproxy and the octoprint. How can I resolve this?

Regards,

Resolved!

I uncomment, removing "#", at the line of configuration file sudo nano /etc/default/haproxy. Like this:

CONFIG="/etc/haproxy/haproxy.cfg"
ENABLED=1

It's working now with my Raspi's IP!

1 Like

Hello,
is it possible, to install and start a second instance of octoprint.

i'm using Octoprint in an VM on a Linux Machine and the first instance of Octoprint is working fine.

I tryed it to install a second venv this way, but it does not work.

I also used the search function but i didn't fiind any solution.

Trying searching again with the word "multiple".