Offline (Error: IOError: '[Errno 25] Inappropriate ioctl for device' @ comm.py:_readline:2417)

What is the problem?
After Update from OctoPi 0.15.0. OctoPrint 1.3.8 shows this error missage:

Offline (Error: IOError: '[Errno 25] Inappropriate ioctl for device' @ comm.py:_readline:2417)

and do not connect to my Prusa i3 Mk3 using EINSY RPi Port connected to Raspberry GPIO using /dev/ttyAMA0.

This config works fine with OctoPi 0.14.0.

What did you already try to solve it?

I have tested using the USB (/dev/ttyACM0) on Raspberry and the USB Port on the EINSY, and with this cable, OctoPi connects to EINSY board.

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab, ...)

OctoPi 0.15.0
OctoPrint 1.3.8
Printer Prusa i3 Mk3
PrintBoard EINSY
Firmware 3.1.3-RC1-243 prusa3d.com

Thanks.

I have the same problem with the same version. It's my first installation, so I don't know if another version works. I'm trying to talk to Marlin on RAMPS

Using:

OctoPi 0.14.0
OctoPrint 1.3.6

Works fine.
I have returned to these versions.

1 Like

I got it! You need to use /dev/ttyUSB0 as your serial port.

0.14 will not work with PI 3+ model B

@Christian_Weller OctoPi 0.15.0 is the minimum version for an RPi 3B+. There's a few threads here on the RPi 3B+ that might be worth reading, which I'll link below :slight_smile: There's also an OctoPi 0.15.1 RC available right now that could use some more people testing it, and that should be pretty snazzy on a 3B+.

1 Like

@supertaz thank you. I can connect to the Arduino now (it stops because the BLTouch is not connected and throws an error), later I will test connecting to the printer and see if I can start doing basic tasks. Sure, an RC is very attractive, but I have never used and explored Octoprint yet. As soon as I get familiar with it and do a few prints, I will be happy to do some beta testing.

No worries. I was more saying that, if you have issues, the RC has the latest stuff to work with the 3B+, in the event that @guysoft fixed something that is giving you a headache with the 0.15 release. :slight_smile: I don't have a 3B+, so I can't speak to what may be headache evoking :wink:

@supertaz it's always a dilemma with the new stuff, so I'm really lucky/glad a 3B+ compatible version is already available. In fact, if I want to find an RPI in a brick and mortar store where I live (it's really easy to get a fake sold), I only have one choice, and they only have the newest version.

LOL usually it's a case of overpriced, outdated hardware being all you can find...you've got the bleeding edge problem. If I didn't have a bunch of SBCs around, I'd probably buy a 3B+, but I honestly have enough 3Bs and other SBCs to handle what I need at present. I'm sure that'll eventually change, though. Ironically, I bought about 3 of the 3Bs right before they announced the 3B+. :man_facepalming:

Aww, that's too bad LOL

Happened to others, too...they didn't tell anyone it was on the horizon. It's okay, though...I also bought a Libre at the same time that has a faster processor on it that's 64-bit. It's going to be used for part of a vision system that needs way more horsepower than the RPi can provide. If it's successful, I may get more of them for other vision system components. None of this is related to OctoPrint, though I could imagine one of the Libres would probably provide a lot of head room for OctoPrint, even with 2 cameras on it.

Ok, I'm an idiot. I can't find 0.14 for download. Do I have to build form scratch? I'm hoping that I'm just being dense not being able to find it.

Thanks in advance

@pimin Shouldn't you be using the latest version...?

I have an RPi3B (not +). I'm seeing the readline error. It was pointed out that 0.15 has this problem on B models. So I don't think so but, I could be wrong.

Supertaz suggested that 0.15.0 is the minimal version you'd need for the 3B+. And just above, you asked how to get the earlier 0.14.0.

I personally have a Raspberry Pi 3B (no plus) and I'm running the latest. There's no problem on this Raspi for any version that I'm aware of.

I have an RPi 3B. Well into a large print, I see this error:

Offline (Error: SerialException: 'device reports readiness to read but returned no data
(device disconnected or multiple access on port?)' @ comm.py:_readline:2581)

Sebastian suggested he had returned to

OctoPi 0.14.0
OctoPrint 1.3.6

and his setup was running fine. Is there an archive of previous Octopi somewhere? Or do I have to git the source and install from scratch? A downloadable archive would be great but, I can build from scratch if I have too.

TIA

I'm guessing that this is what you're looking for.

Looks promising.

Thanks

Lower baud rates just take longer to get to the error.