OctoPrint stops working when I'm not on my computer

When I'm not on my computer Octoprint will stop printing.

I don't get error messages. I don't think I'd know what one looks like if I did.

I don't know how to try to fix it.

The server appears to have timed out.

There are no power interruptions. It just stops.

The only .log file I see is the one that has started since I've logged back on.

Seems to be running fine as long as I'm sitting here.

Octoprint is running on your computer, not on a dedicated Raspberry Pi (or other server)? octoprint.log doesn't show anything? How about a serial log?

There are a LOT of details we can't intuit from what you have said.

2 Likes

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. I interface OctoPrint through my computer. Sometimes it the print will just stop mid print. Sometimes it will print for hours, sometimes 30 minutes. Sometimes it will print until completed. I only see log files for the current session on the OctoPrint webpage, under the Terminal tab. I'm a novice here.

Hi @badtravis, these log files are most handy.
This may help you to find them.

2 Likes

Hi,

I'm going to jump in this thread as I am having something similar which I think is related.

R Pi 3 B+ with newly installed OctoPi.

When I connect to OctoPrint web page, it has, at times, reset my printer. Killing prints mid way through.

I think this is something to do with the Pi connecting in to the printer, as I did once have it so that it was set to be a serial connection in the front screen, I then changed it to USB and the printer rebooted / reset there and then... so I think it must be that.

Any ideas what I would do to TS this?

Presumably you are printing from the SD when this happens. Don't connect to the printer in Octoprint during a print.

Generally that isn't even an option because if you are printing through Octoprint (not SD card), you are already connected.

1 Like

So, if I am printing from SD, I can not connect in and monitor the print with the OctoPi? The reason got the Pi was to do this and people on YouTube said it's always best to print from SD in case something happens with the Pi during the print.

Am I missing something, or should I ONLY print from the SD if Pi not connected?

Thanks

You can monitor the print, but you need to connect the printer to octopi first then choose to print from sd card, you can't connect it while it's in the middle of a print, I don't think anyway

1 Like

I'll have a play about tonight and see what happens... get some more exact scenarios if it happens again, though maybe will be OK if I ensure Octoprint is up and running and happy before starting to print.

It will happen whenever you connect or disconnect during a print. Initiate prints, even SD card prints, from Octoprint and you won't have that problem.

Something weird going on with my setup. Everything seemed normal, but then I was trying to copy files up from my PC to the SD card and it all locked up and "killed" the printer. Luckily I was not trying to print at the time, but I wasn't expecting this to happen and so I lost confidence in this setup once again. As I had to get on and do fighting with a tricky 3D print I just did it from the SD having unplugged the Pi. I saved some alert text and log text which may contain clues and will upload that later. At this point though, I may start my own thread rather than sidetracking someone elses.

1 Like

Could you explain how you did that?

When connected to the web page there is a window (bottom left) to upload files and a button that says upload to SD. I tried using that and my printer went offline and rebooted/reset.
When I went to reconnect it was complaining that the printer was halted, had to reboot everything.

_State: Offline (Error: Too many consecutive timeouts, printer still connected and alive?)_

_Recv: Begin file list_
_Recv: \x01????b?@|o?????@???o???\x05Z*?\?kl?gm?\x1b???_
_G?? ??_
_Recv: echo:enqueueing "M84 X Y Z E"_
_Communication timeout while idle, trying to trigger response from printer. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves._
_Send: M105_
_Communication timeout while idle, trying to trigger response from printer. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves._
_Send: M105_
_No response from printer after 3 consecutive communication timeouts, considering it dead. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves._
_Changing monitoring state from "Operational" to "Offline (Error: Too many consecutive timeouts, printer still connected and alive?)"_
_Connection closed, closing down monitor_

_Reconnect: _
_Error reported by printer_
_Your printer's firmware reported an error. Due to that OctoPrint will disconnect. Reported error: Printer halted. kill() called!_

So you copied to the SD of the Printer. I see.
Either the file you tried to copy was not proper Gcode or the SD card in your printer is broken.

Recv: Begin file list
Recv: \x01????b?@|o?????@???o???\x05Z*??kl?gm?\x1b???

The file list looks rather corrupted.
Try to restart without SD card in your printer.

BTW: Copying a file to the printer's SD card is a long time project.
Every line is sent to the printer with additional checksum. This has to be confirmed and when ok, the next line can be send. This take way more time than swapping the SD card to your PC and copying the file there.

Printer and SD card are only a month or so old and Windows reports no corruption and the copy works OK from Windows and prints fine... so I am fairly sure it's not that.

It was proper GCODE too, as after that failed I gave up on the Pi and manually copied it on to the SD via my PC and printed it without issue. GCODE created in the latest version of Cura on Windows.

Anyway, my pain in the backside print has finally been completed so my next project is to get this all tested out and working right.