Octoprint can't keep prusa mk2.5 buffer filled?

What is the problem?
If printing and object output by fusion360 with a high detail level, my prusa original mk2.5 printer can stutter moving, especially on circles.

What did you already try to solve it?
Printing directly from SD either via octoprint or on the printer physical controls the print works correctly. If I load the gcode to octroprint and try printing via usb I get this issue.

It seems to only happen on complex parts of the print, areas that have many short lines or commands that are quick to execute. So my theory is that the buffer on the prusa is emptying before it can be filled via octoprint.

My current solutions are either to use a lower quality output on fusion, but that's not a great fix, I would like to print in a good quality and also this isn't an option for downloaded stl's that I don't have the original design for. Or to load the gcode onto the sd card and print from there, but then I loose alot of the goodness of using octoprint.

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab, ...)

OctoPrint 1.3.9 running on OctoPi 0.14.0
Original prusa mk2.5
Serial connection speed 115200

Presumably you are on a Raspberry Pi? What model? What does vcgencmd get_throttled return?

Ah, sorry I should have included that. Running on a pi B+.

pi@octopi:~ $ vcgencmd get_throttled
throttled=0x0

What firmware version do you have on that printer?

it is running version 3.1.0

Ah... that's probably your problem here. That firmware is known to have tremendous serial communication issues that will lead to stuff like that. Upgrade (or downgrade). And maybe complain to Prusa that they STILL have this firmware up without a corresponding warning even though I've been telling them about these issues and that their users keep running into them since last December.

Ah! Thank you, I will do that. I thought it was best to start looking at this from the octoprint end, should have looked at the firmware first.

Cheers

C

I'm hoping you mean Pi 3B+.

No, an original pi b+

In that case, if the firmware change doesn't fix things, I'd suggest upgrading the Pi.

1 Like