New release: 1.3.10

As an early christmas present 🎄 I’m happy to present you OctoPrint 1.3.10. This a maintenance release again, consisting of various improvements and fixes. It was made possible only through your continued support of my work 💕.

As you can see in the changelog it packs a ton of improvements and bug fixes which would be too many to list here, so let me just present you with some of the highlights:

• The OctoPi Support Plugin is now the Pi Support Plugin, will be enabled when a Raspberry Pi is detected as the underlying hardware platform and report on undervoltage or overheating situations.
  • Added the Backup & Restore Plugin: The new bundled plugin will allow you to make a backup of your OctoPrint settings, files and list of installed plugins, and to restore from such a backup on the same or another instance. This should make migration paths from outdated installations to newer ones easier.
  • Added the Anonymous Usage Tracking Plugin. Tracking will only take place if the plugin is enabled and you’ve decided to opt-in during initial setup (or enabled it manually afterwards, through the corresponding switch in the settings). The tracking data will give insight into how OctoPrint is used, which versions are running and on what kind of hardware OctoPrint gets installed. You can learn about what will get tracked (if you opt-in) on tracking.octoprint.org. Please consider helping development by participating in the anonymous usage tracking đź’•
  • Added the Application Keys Plugin: The new bundled plugin offers an authorization for third party apps that doesn’t involve manually copying API keys or using QR codes. Third party client developers are strongly advised to implement this workflow in their apps. Read more in the documentation. Thanks to Aldo Hoeben for the idea and initial implementation!
  • Automatic updates in outdated environments are no longer supported. After repeated issues out in the field with ancient installations and ancient underlying Python environments, OctoPrint’s Softwareupdate Plugin will no longer allow automatic updates of itself or any installed plugins via the Software Update Plugin if a certain set of minimum versions of Python, pip and setuptools isn’t detected. The current minimum versions reflect the environment found on OctoPi 0.14.0: Python 2.7.9, pip 9.0.1, setuptools 5.5.1. See also the related FAQ entry.
  • OctoPrint will now try to protect/educate more prominently against the dangers of opening up OctoPrint on the public internet via various new explicit warnings in the UI as well as a new notification that pops up if you log in from an external IP address. Thanks to the new bundled ForcedLogin Plugin OctoPrint will also no longer be accessible in a read-only way by anonymous guests - to get back the old behaviour, disable the plugin.
  • Added detection of EMERGENCY_PARSER firmware capability and if it’s present add M108 to the cancel procedure, to cancel blocking heatups.
  • Improved GCODE analysis speed
  • … and various further improvements and of course bug fixes.

There’s also a small heads-up for plugin authors:

OctoPrint has updated its sarge dependency. The new version 0.1.5 has a small breaking change - the async keyword was renamed to async_ for compatibility reasons with Python 3.7. This might also affect your plugin if you happen to use sarge somewhere therein. OctoPrint has a workaround for this in place so your plugin will continue to function for now. However, you should look into updating it to use async_ instead of async if running against OctoPrint 1.3.10+.

See also here for the sarge changelog.

The full list of changes can of course be found in the Changelog - as always.

Also see the Further Information and Links below for more information, where to find help and how to roll back.

I also want to thank everyone who contributed to this release, especially @BillyBlaze, @bradcfisher, @eyal0, @fieldOfView, @gdombiak, @gerfderp, @hashashin and @tedder for their PRs.

And last but not least another special Thank you! to everyone who reported back on the release candidates this time: @andrivet, @arminth, @autonumous, @benlye, @BillyBlaze, @bradcfisher, @Charly333, @ChrisHeerschap, @Crowlord, @ctgreybeard, @devildant, @dimkin-eu, @DominikPalo, @duncanlovett, @EddyMI3d, @FanDjango, @FormerLurker, @gdombiak, @GhostlyCrowd, @goeland86, @Goodeid, @hamster65, @hashashin, @jenilliii, @JohnOCFII, @kmanley57, @louispires, @markuskruse, @Nervemanna, @nionio6915, @ntoff, @paukstelis, @racenviper, @ramsesiden, @rtbon, @skohls, @stough, @tech-rat, @tedder, @ThaliaFromPrussia, @thisiskeithb, @trendelkamp, @truglodite, @tteckenburg, @varazir, @Webstas and @zeroflow

Further Information

It may take up to 24h for your update notification to pop up, so don’t be alarmed if it doesn’t show up immediately after reading this. You can force the update however via Settings > Software Update > Advanced options > Force check for update.

If you get an error about “no suitable distribution” during update, please read this.

If you have any problems with your OctoPrint installation, please seek support on the community forum.

Links

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://octoprint.org/blog/2018/12/10/new-release-1.3.10/
3 Likes

congrats Gina!

1 Like

Well done. :slight_smile:

I will note that my Raspberry Pi 3B as powered by the 5V output of the printer board inside my Robo C2 apparently wasn't providing enough power. The new v1.3.10 version will be the first main release of OctoPrint which won't work on that hardware platform out-of-the-box.

I have a hardware work-around for anyone with this brand of printer; PM me for details.

After my first successful Prusa MMU2 4 color print I just installed 1.3.10
Update without issues - now let's see what future brings :slight_smile:

Awesome news on preventing anonymous Login. Thank you Gina!

2 Likes

Great work yet again Gina from yourself and your fellow contributors!

I love the added features and improvements to the system, and it is running very well on my Raspberry Pi Zero W.

As a bit of constructive feedback, the only thing that I wish didn't change is the printed/visited layer count in GCODE viewer. I know you mentioned that it confused a lot of people (which would have consumed a lot of your time answering all the queries coming in), but it was very handy feedback data. Maybe it could be added as a tickbox option under the settings section in a future release for those of us who want to see this data?

In any case, I genuinely appreciate everyone's hard work, and thank you for the early Christmas present!

Maybe for Christmas you can gift your printer a Raspberry Pi 3B.

1 Like

The Prusa i3 MK3 has been designed to fit the RpiZw into the controller case, a full sized Pi won't fit.
The RpiZw is doing a great job for us though, so there would be very little gain in swapping it out. :slightly_smiling_face:

Fixed that for you. :laugh: Seriously though, whoever designed that didn't really check in with foosel to see if that was a good idea. Given the way they want you to solder in the GPIO pins for serial, it's important that you hack away at your setup to make sure that you dedicate/redirect the good UART to this communication. This appears to be lost on the guy who invented the Prusa design.

More
More

nope,

somewhat unlikely,.

nope.

Hey @foosel, can you confirm something? Does the Pi Support power icon only appear when there is a problem?

Yes. The idea is, if you never see it, all is fine. If you see it, something's wrong.

1 Like

So the debugging step is to look for the icon, then check the plugin settings to make sure it's enabled.

Gonna think about that, seems like the "false negative" case is problematic. But my "support plugin" that works like brew doctor might help.

Why after update 1.3.10 My password isn't working?

I am almost at a point of quitting being a patreon and no more use of octoprint. For a few weeks i was away.
After the update it is hard to boot up. I have to do it several times. But the biggest irritation is the printer firmware safety notification. Why on earth did you create this??? It is patronizing. We are not kids, but fully aware grown ups....

1 Like

hm it only shows up when you have a bad configured firmware :wink:
Fix it and it goes away.

1 Like

True, the firmware is bad. But that’s not new. It has always been. There are other ways of solving this besides changing the firmware.

My point is: warnings and limitations should be left to the user. Not to octoprint. If they are included they should be an option initially, not once they are there.

Octoprint was nice and friendly, but this changes all!

You may have that opinion, but others blame OctoPrint for not warning them when their house burned down.
But as a hint: Settings -> Plugin Manager -> Printer Safety Check

@Anouk1983 OctoPrint lately refused to work for me with the stock power situation in my Robo 3D printer. That's because the manufacturer, yet again, didn't know what they were doing. I can choose to be mad at foosel or mad at them. Or I can just not be mad at all and just fix the design since it is my printer, after all.

So I rewired things so that my Raspi inside my printer now has a dedicated 5V adapter instead of the previous dodgy arrangement. Ultimately, it took her to force the issue for me to do the right thing and to supply the right voltage. Without that boot to my butt, I'd have probably just ignored it and ended up negatively impacting my prints.

1 Like

i know i may have this opinion...