Cam not working?

Can you do a ping octopi.local on your Mac and have it return an IP address? If not, then do the advice from earlier as I've copied it here again.

If you can ping octopi.local by name and it can do a name resolution to that correct IP address, then the issue might be that your router is blocking port 8080 on the wifi side of things. (Are you on the Guest wifi network?)

I can ping and I believe it returned the IP like you asked. I have the "Guest Network" Disabled. See Screen Shots.

In the AirPort Network tab it has a choice of three "Router Modes" DHCP and NAT (presently chosen) DHCP or Bridge (off). The NETWORK OPTIONS button has a reference to NAT Port Mapping, thought that may be of interest.

Hope Im helping you figure this out not making it worse. lol

Let's make a list of what we now know:

• You have an AirPort Extreme for your wi-fi
  • It has issued the 10.0.1.34 IP address to the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (which has a Pi NoIR V2 camera module)
  • OctoPi 0.15.0 and OctoPrint 1.3.8
  • Hostname = octopi and username = pi
  • ssh is running since you get a prompt
  • Your DNS name resolution appears to be working or minimally, Bonjour
  • You Raspi's wifi adapter's MAC address is likely now in your arp cache
  • It sounds like you CAN now remote into the Raspi over wifi using either ssh pi@octopi.local or ssh pi@10.0.1.34. Correct?
  • I assume now that either http://10.0.1.34 or http://octopi.local gives you OctoPrint's interface.
  • Your Airport's DHCP lease is now ten days rather than one.

You put your Settings back to this, right?

here

If you can't see the camera at all using any URL, then it suggests that the ribbon cable on both ends needs to be checked and re-connected. Make sure that the silver side matches up with the connector's contacts.

Since you seemed to be asking, NAT (Network Address Translation) does the job of translating your internal private IP addresses and mapping them into one or more public IP addresses if you set up port-forwarding, for example. It doesn't affect us at the moment, though.

My gut's telling me that one or both ends of your ribbon cable is flipped over.

1 Like

I know all of you have been on pins and needles especially OutsourcedGuru. Well everyone can breath a sy of relief knowing my cam is working now. :sweat: All the suggestions, list of "what we know" and advice were a help. Put new Raspi and cam now working. Best 60 bucks ever spent. May have Buzzed something electronic cause I'm working with one hand only (left not my strong one)
Thanks All
SB

1 Like

It could be that the location was bad for wi-fi transmission, for what it's worth. Or the power from the wall could be on a different circuit.

1 Like

I am confounded. Everything I did was move my PIE back to my printer and connected it and now my cam don't work once more. The main distinction is that its never again snared to Ethernet. Presently its on WIFI and it is on cause I can ping it and octoprint loads. I had a go at stacking the two URLs Foosel proposed and no go. I am lost why I can't sign in ssh I get to the secret phrase (the one I changed in the pie Config and signed in with) yet it denies me

@drak15 It sounds like you earlier connected to the Pi over Ethernet rather than wi-fi. You moved the Pi, removing the Ethernet cable and it's now not working (as I understand things).

You might need to put a monitor/keyboard/mouse on the Pi temporarily to troubleshoot this. Once you've done that, log in locally and run an ifconfig to verify that the wi-fi is binding and you have an IP address for wlan0.

What setup was used to get the Pi Cam working. I have a Pi NoIR Camera V2 I would like to get working. Thanks

This tutorial is reasonably useful.

I make it to this part ```
$ raspistill -o first-light.jpg
And this is the error I get

mmal: camera component couldn't be enabled
mmal: main: Failed to create camera component
mmal: Failed to run camera app. Please check for firmware updates

Any Ideas?

Apologies. That's an older tutorial that I created. Since Raspbian Stretch, raspistill stopped working for whatever reason (not related to OctoPrint, really).

Drive on. It will likely work.

"My gut's telling me that one or both ends of your ribbon cable is flipped over."

Yep, that was my issue. Thanks!

2 Likes