ASUS router-specific setup questions

What is the problem?
I'm using a high end ASUS router that supports VPN and DDNS. How can I best set this all up with Octoprint? Also I'm running 2 raspies each with a single printer, so how can I make this robust enough for multiple printers?

What did you already try to solve it?
so many things! The router seems to be setup right and each pi has a unique name but DDNS doesn't recognize them.

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab, ...)

1 Like

You set up the VPN via the routers web admin (192.168.1.1 usually)

and once configured you can use the OpenVPN client on a windows machine outside your network to VPN back into your network.

Once you have completed your VPN connection back home you can access octo just like you do current while at home http://192.168.1.x
or 0 in the third octet, but I think Asus routers use "1"

1 Like

I'm confused. I want the octoprint to connect via vpn. Also I can only find it via ip not DDNS for some reason.

Yup. we are on the same page. you do not need to set up anything on octoprint.

you need to set up your router to allow you to VPN in while you are "not home"

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=dsbbae19tB4

this pretty closely follows what it is like on my Asus. Get this figured out first..then worry about the DynDNS. Asus makes DynDNS easy too they have their own domain for it.

Yep I was over thinking it. VPN works now. DDNS not so much.

1 Like

yeah - not really hard once you understand the concept. now on to the DynDNS.

Asus has a service that is built into the router. asuscomm.com I THINK its called.

so you can register DB_Irwin.auscomm.com for example and than use that to get back to your home network once you out side and trying to phone home.

Have you found any reference to what im talking about inside your router? They are all a bit different and I dont know which model you have...

Yeah it’s setup up too but how do I navigate to each pi?

So each Pi has an internal up address.

192.168.x.x

You need to know that ip.

Say you are remote. You VPN in and now you are as good as home so you open a web browser and connect to 192.168.x.x address. Just like you are at home.

Unless I’m missing something I tho k that answers what you are asking.

Ps. Or ssh to each ip. But I’m pretty sure you mean the web.

1 Like

Maybe I'm confused again. VPN to ip works fine now. Thanks for that! But Myname.asuscomm.com doesn't work unless I port forward one of my two pies. Is there a way to assign DDNS names to each Pi? without port forwarding?

You are confused again. The dyndns goes into your vpn client so you do not need to remember your isp ip if it changes.

Port forwarding is going to open up “holes” in your router to allow to you access your pi (and anyone else) with out encryption.

You are almost there.

What are the 192.168.x.x IPs of your pi’s?

I think I understand where I was confused before. I assumed DDNS would work similarly to DNS and I could assign subdomains to individual computers. I guess that is not how it works.

Correct. That is how it works but only to your network from outside your house. Not for each machine.

Leave home.
Use dyndns to vpn back into home
Open web browser.

Use 192.168.1.x to connect to Pi’s

1 Like

Got it! Thanks for clearing this all up! It works great now!

1 Like

Awesome. You are welcome

2 Likes

In this situation (if you're forced to use IP addresses in your browser)...

• issue a static IP to each printer in your router
  • edit (via Administrator user on Windows) your C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file, adding one entry for each of your printers; on a Mac, this would be /private/etc/hosts instead. The entry might look like: 192.168.1.10 octopi

Then go to http://octopi.local/ for example.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!!!

It worked perfectly!!!

1 Like

Helpful thanks very much

1 Like

hello
so now iam having this issue i whanna connect the octopi to my phone for when im not home
i made up a vpn and tryed the port forwarding but it looks diffrent for me than people on youtube and what ever i try it doesnt work for me
aus rt-ac1200g+
ty

@PlayWithTheBoss, If you don't give us details on what you have tried, then we can't help you.

A VPN (Virtual Private Network) creates an encrypted path between a device (your phone) connected to the internet and the router. You phone now has access to your internal network. Unless your internal network has its own DNS server (and the VPN connection is configured to use that server), you are limited to using internal IP addresses for communication.

Port Forwarding on the router is a completely different animal and is not used with a VPN.

hi ty for the anwser so i tryed to make the vpn it works but only on wifi and at work we got no wifi... so what else can i try to get on my 4g to my octoprint
ty